November 2019 Answers
1. On our farm manure is used for fertilizer and bedding.
2. The machine that removes the manure from the cow pens is called the Mensch or a manure vacuum.
3. Solids are separated from the manure and they are loaded into a wagon to be put into the free-stall pens of the cows.
4. The remaining dry manure is spread onto crop fields to add fertilizer and organic matter to the soil for next years crop.
5. The liquid manure stored on the farm is inside of basin in the ground and we make sure they never have a leak.
6. Pumps make the manure move through the hoses to the fields.
7. We inject the liquid manure under the soil surface to make it available to the plants.
October 2019 Answers
1. The ___(equipment)___ chops the corn in the field to create silage. Chopper
2. When do cows have access to eat? All day
3. What are the responsibilities of the scale house? Weigh the trucks and take samples to dry to find out field moisture
4. Which driver forms the shape of the silage pile? The dozer driver
5. After fieldwork is done, what does the farm do to the silage pile? Cover the pile in silage with tires
6. How does the farm protect the silage from weather such as rain, snow and wind? Put plastic on the pile to prevent spoilage and preserve quality.